Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A rose by any other name....

What is there in a name? It doesn't matter what your name is as long as you are such a sweet person. Personality and character that matters. Yeah, rite!

I m sure that if your name ends with Mahathir (as in the former PM) or Abdullah (as in Pak Lah) or at least with a 'Jamaluddin' (as in 'KJ') it would mean a world - at least to get tender / or political footing in the party.

To you and me who do not have one of those EXOTIC name might not think much of what a name may cause you (pride or humiliation).

Let us revisit my younger years. At one point of time I was so pathetic that i allowed myself to be on a fixed-blind date. We talked on the phone several times before i agreed to meet him in person. He insisted to be called 'Det'. When I met him in person, he wasn't an eyesore (he was also not so pleasant to look at either), but his charm managed to keep me going for the first hour. Until the moment of truth arrived. When we parted, he gave me his card, and lo! his name reads: KHIZIR. A minor error (in the spelling of his name)could turn him from a man to a beast! I don't want my kids to be teased in school that their father belongs to the 'najis mughalazah' category if mispelled. Okay, i was too forward thinking then (it was only 1 date for God's sake!), but i m glad that i didn't agree for the 2nd date!

My encounter with exotic names didn't end there. There's 1 guy who was such a hunk and insisted to be called 'Art' (he does painting and the such), he was hitting on me big time, i was about to agree for a date with him, until 1 of my colleagues told me that his real (as written in IC) name was SUPANGAT!!! I like all sorts of PENGAT all rite, but i don't want to date them!

Then there are these guys with their fathers' names such as NGAT DENIN, BEJO, MASUDI, BACHOK. All i dumped because i do not want my children to feel inferior when their father's name are called in the public.

Yup, I was damn SHALLOW back then. I was young & foolish too. But now I am older and much WISER (so help me God!)....though i don't have any regret of those failed relationships....name is no longer an issue...i m currently dating a man with an EXOTIC last name.......

No comments: